Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can I reduce the oven temp on a recipe and cook longer or should it be the temp that is called for?

I have a recipe for braised short ribs that calls for 350 degrees for 2-4 hrs. I am using a cast Iron braiser from- Le CREUSET. These tend to hold heat better than other cookware I have. I'm thinking of dropping the heat to 300 or even 275 and leaving it in the oven longer to make up for the lower temp. Will that be fine or should I stick to what it calls for in the recipe?Can I reduce the oven temp on a recipe and cook longer or should it be the temp that is called for?
That will be fine. Meat is always best slow and long. Check every half hour after the initial 2 hours for moisture content and you will be fine.





Just me, cooking for 30+ years.Can I reduce the oven temp on a recipe and cook longer or should it be the temp that is called for?
The low temperature (and increased cooking time) should actually make your braised short ribs all the more tender. ';The key to the short ribs is cooking time, which should be at least 4 hours, but [you can] let it braise at a low temperature for 8 hours. It [will be] unbelievably succulent, quite literally falling off the bone...';





Just be sure to season and brown the ribs on all sides first and have plenty of liquid (e.g.red wine, beef stock) in your braiser.
Every recipe is different, first off, what is it you are wanting to bake? Generally if you have time to experiment start a little at a time. If its 400 for 30 min try 375 for 40 min, just do it in baby steps. Groceries are too expensive to play around. Just take it gradual. If I do it I don't back it down any more than 25-50 degrees.
I think making short ribs with a lower temperature and lower heat is the best way to make them. They will be great. I recommend 300 for at least 6 hours. If you have plenty of liquid to keep them moist you could go as long as 8 hours but 6 should do the trick.
Stick to the original. It has been tested and suggested for the better outcome. If you change it, be willing to accept a change in the outcome.
Yes you can put it to lower temperature, and cook longer, the outcome will be the same.
Yes when slow cooking meats it is always betterr to go with a lower heat any way. I would go with 275.
With meats lower %26amp; longer will be more tender.


This doesn't apply to baking, which is more precise %26amp; critical.

No comments:

Post a Comment