Thursday, January 7, 2010

I want to add cooked pumpkin to a cookie recipe. How do I compensate for the extra liquid?

I have the best oatmeal raisin cookie recipe, and i want to add some fresh baked pumkin to it, the pumpkin is pretty dry. Can you tell me how i can add the pumkin with out tipping the oh so delicate balance of fats, sugars, and flour?(see recipe below (imperial units U.S.))


1/2 Cup Butter


1/2 Cup shortening


3/4 Cup granulated sugar


1/4 cup packed brown sugar


2 teaspoons vanilla


2 eggs


2 cups quick cooking oats


1 1/2 cups all purpose flour


1 teaspoon baking Soda


1/2 teaspoon salt


3/4 Cups rasins


1/2 Cups chopped nuts





These cookies are soft and chewy and stay that way for almost a week! I want to keep them that way! Please help!I want to add cooked pumpkin to a cookie recipe. How do I compensate for the extra liquid?
I would have to say:





Cut back 1/2 cup flour





I hope it works. With all that starch in the pumpkin, I would think the cookies would come out too dry with the original amt of flour. I fear that you will lose the chewiness no matter what.





Either way, I don't think that the recipe will come out the same.


To add enough pumpkin to be able to taste it, you would have to add so much that it will make the cookies soft and fluffy.I want to add cooked pumpkin to a cookie recipe. How do I compensate for the extra liquid?
Cut back a bit on the shortening. I've seen recipes that use no fat but substitute a can of pumpkin. If it seems dry, add water, not more fat.
You can decrease the liquid in the pumpkin by putting it between layers of paper towel and placing a weight on top for 30 minutes... in effect trying to make pumpking leather.... not my idea... saw it on foodnetwork pumpkin cheesecake episode.
add moe shortening and sugar! very simple answer to this question! =] have a wonderful day tomorrow!
No idea - but the recipe sounds great just like it is - good luck!@
Have a look at this recipe for reference:





2 c. flour


1 c. butter


1 c. oatmeal


1 c. pumpkin


1 egg, beaten


1 tsp. baking soda


1 tsp. vanilla


1 c. brown sugar


1/2 tsp. salt


1 c. chips or raisins





The major differences between your recipe and this are the addition of a cup of pumpkin, which while having a lot of starch and fiber, probably contains a significant amount of water. This recipe compensates for that by using only 1 egg and by changing the proportion of flour (adding an addition 1/2 cup) and oatmeal (decrease to 1 cup). You might want to start with this (using your combination of butter/shortening and white/brown sugar if you'd like) and see how it turns out. If you find that you want an ';oat-ier'; cookie, you can always tweak the flour/oat ratio a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment