Thursday, December 24, 2009

When cooking oatmeal, why does the recipe ask for salt?

Does adding salt change the texture or is it just for taste?When cooking oatmeal, why does the recipe ask for salt?
Texture no different.


Definitely taste!!





I forgot it one time and it just didn't taste the same. And you can't add it in after it's already cooked.





Jeez Louise... what's with the thumbs down bandit?? C'mon give me mine too!When cooking oatmeal, why does the recipe ask for salt?
sont use salt in it. It will taste gross. Use sugar or honey. Yum. Then top off your oatmeal with sliced bananas and granola. Or try a sliced peach with blueberrries. YumEEEE! My five yr old likes that alot.
I think they're owned by a salt company... I never put salt in mine and it turns out great.
Because it tastes like wallpaper paste without it. Even sweets (cookies, cakes) contain salt. Things taste flat without it.
Taste. Oatmeal is so plain and most people want added flavor. Salt balances out all of the lovely brown sugar I put in mine.
It does something to the boiling point. I dont put it in.
I have tried both ways, and preferred a pinch of salt, as it improved the flavour, but of course it is a matter of individual taste.
Salt brings out the flavor.
Salt is unnecessary to cook oatmeal and can affect the texture (make it coarse). If you like the salt taste, season after cooking.
I think it's supposed to be for favor.
I think it has something to do with how fast the oatmeal heats. Don't add it.
salt tends to enhance flavors .....and foods can taste flat without it....
This may be hard to believe, but the reason you put salt in is to enhance the flavor of the sugar or sweetener you add to oatmeal. Try two bowls, one without salt, one with. You'll find that it takes a lot more sugar on the unsalted oatmeal to get the same level of sweetness as the salted oatmeal.
Don't even bother with it. I never use it, in fact I think it just makes the oatmeal taste a little salty which is absolutely disgusting. People try to say it brings out the flavor, but personally I just think oatmeal is oatmeal, the taste by itself isn't very good on its own so why would you wanna bring it out even more? Most people end up adding sugar and a whole bunch of other flavoring to it anyway.
well I think salt brings out the flavor......
flavor and like the person above said raises the boiling point.
salt enhances and brings out the flavor of everything. It is just for the taste.
you should salt everything.....salt enhances flavor....brings out more of the natural flavors
salt can sometimes enhance taste, but i almost never use it when i make oatmeal...and it doesnt taste or look different
everything asks for salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment